De La Hoya is Retiring

14 April 2009 |

ap09041401791422.jpg

During a press conference on Tuesday, boxing champ Oscar De La Hoya announced his retirement from the sport.

According to De La Hoya:

    "After heartfelt discussions with my family and my closest friends, it is with deep gratitude and appreciation that I announce my retirement from professional boxing.

    Boxing has been the single, most consistent part of my life and although I will miss the ring, I know that it is time for me to step away from the sport competitively and become more active in the other aspects of it that are already in place and ready for me to pursue."

Oscar will now be working with the top execs at Golden Boy Promotions to help put together boxing events worldwide.

Even Los Angeles Mayor Antonia Villarigosa spoke out during the press conference adding that "Oscar de la Hoya has left an indelible legacy in and out of the ring. This son of East L.A. has made the City of Angels proud, not only for his ten championships in six weight divisions, but for never forgetting his roots and giving back to his community."

De La Hoya ended his speech by saying, "In closing, I want to acknowledge my wonderful wife Millie, my children and my entire family who have been extremely supportive and patient with me, sacrificing a tremendous amount of our time together in order for me to pursue my career. Now it is time for me to be there for them."

Adios, amigo!

0 comments: